Sample Model A
Most affordable Garden Bed:
Spending Your Funding on Soil
Mounded beds with Edging: Sod Remains in Place
1. Call Alberta One Call to get map of buried
utilities. Place garden beds well away from buried utility
2. Mark out the boundaries of the entire garden.
3. Plan and invite residents to a sheet mulching party
4. Sheet mulching makes the weed barrier of heavy
corrugated cardboard or multiple layers of newspapers overlapped
and sprayed with water.
5. Layer on straw, soil and compost over entire site.
(Do not use animal manures!)
6. Layer on pathway material according to
measurements on the garden drawing.
7. Place garden edging and secure into ground firmly.
8. Move soil into areas within the edging.
9. Complete the layer of pathway materials.
10. Label garden beds.
12. Assemble a container food garden near the water source,
accessible pathway,p arking & seating area. Use large
containers that are 22 to 24 inches high for accessible gardening
from lawn chairs and wheelchairs.
In addition, this model of garden construction can give a
structured appearance to create a beautiful food forest style
garden using permaculture methods.
Residents may choose this garden bed construction style because
they dislike the look of wooden raised beds in rows. The
edging around the mounded soil is appealing to residents who are
concerned about a garden being disorderly in a residential
neighbourhood due to soil erosion and lack of garden rental bed