Select a Site
Identifying Potential Sites
To identify potential garden sites on public land in your
neighborhood, we recommend you start by calling 3-1-1 and
asking for your local Parks Community Strategist at the City
of Calgary's Parks department.
Selecting a Location
An ideal community garden location:
- Receives an average of 6 hours of sun a day.
- Has water hook ups.
- Does not have a history of soil
- Is in a safe, open area clearly visible to
- Is far enough from nearby trees to avoid their shade and
competition for soil nutrients.
- Is central to the neighborhood but not too close to roads
with heavy traffic.
- Is near public transit or bike paths.
- Features nearby parking and/or a drop off area for
- Is accessible for people with mobility
- Offers 100 square feet per gardener.
- Can accomodate garden expansions in future
Once you've identified a couple of potential sites, you'll
need to lease and